- a person who makes or sells eyeglasses and, usually, contact lenses, for remedying defects of vision in accordance with the prescriptions of ophthalmologists and optometrists.
- a maker or seller of optical glass and instruments.
Origin of optician
Synonyms for optician
Examples from the Web for optician
Historical Examples of optician
"That is an opthalmometer," replied the optician in his gravest manner.Jokes For All Occasions
The acoumeter is largely used by aurists and can be obtained from the optician.Civics and Health
William H. Allen
Our first object is to see if the optician has given us a good glass.Pleasures of the telescope
In 1609 invented a telescope, after hearing of a Dutch optician's discovery.Pioneers of Science
You had better pretend that there has been some delay—but no, your diary will show that you have not been to the optician.Meccania
- Also called: optometrista general name used to refer to an ophthalmic optician, a person qualified to examine the eyes and prescribe and supply spectacles and contact lenses
- a general name used to refer to a dispensing optician, a person who supplies and fits spectacle frames but is not qualified to prescribe lenses
- A person who practices opticianry.