- to make as effective, perfect, or useful as possible.
- to make the best of.
- Computers. to write or rewrite (the instructions in a program) so as to maximize efficiency and speed in retrieval, storage, or execution.
- Mathematics. to determine the maximum or minimum values of (a specified function that is subject to certain constraints).
- to be optimistic.
Origin of optimize
Examples from the Web for optimised
Historical Examples of optimised
Several wide tables have been optimised for wide (browser) windows and may not look optimal in narrow windows or other formats.
- (tr) to take the full advantage of
- (tr) to plan or carry out (an economic activity) with maximum efficiency
- (intr) to be optimistic
- (tr) to write or modify (a computer program) to achieve maximum efficiency in storage capacity, time, cost, etc
- (tr) to find the best compromise among several often conflicting requirements, as in engineering design
1844, "to act as an optimist," back-formation from optimist. Meaning "to make the most of" is first recorded 1857. Related: Optimized; optimizing.