- the art of writing words with the proper letters, according to accepted usage; correct spelling.
- the part of language study concerned with letters and spelling.
- a method of spelling, as by the use of an alphabet or other system of symbols; spelling.
- a system of such symbols: Missionaries provided the first orthography for the language.
- an orthographic projection, or an elevation drawn by means of it.
Origin of orthography
Examples from the Web for orthography
Historical Examples of orthography
The orthography of his glossary differs considerably from the orthography of his text.Beowulf
Will they forego the facts of an epoch, for the orthography of a syllable?
The orthography and pointing of the stops, are precisely as printed in the card.
Then there were treatises on grammar, on orthography, and a series of works on mathematics.Old-Time Makers of Medicine
James J. Walsh
Sussex men are curiously intolerant of the phonetics of orthography.Highways & Byways in Sussex
- a writing system
- spelling considered to be correct
- the principles underlying spelling
- the study of spelling
- orthographic projection