- an effect expressible as a quantity that repeatedly and regularly fluctuates above and below some mean value, as the pressure of a sound wave or the voltage of an alternating current.
- a single fluctuation between maximum and minimum values in such an effect.
- the difference between the least upper bound and the greatest lower bound of the functional values of a function in a given interval.
- Also called saltus. the limit of the oscillation in an interval containing a given point, as the length of the interval approaches zero.
QUIZ YOURSELF ON THESE WORDS FROM BROWN GIRL DREAMING!
Words nearby oscillation
Example sentences from the Web for oscillation
Baryon oscillation is basically sound waves in the early Universe.Using Black Holes to Measure Dark Energy, Like a BOSS|Matthew R. Francis|April 13, 2014|DAILY BEAST
This is a very simple engine of the oscillation type, and there should be little trouble in making it.Boys' Book of Model Boats|Raymond Francis Yates
The hot weather, which lengthened the steel rods, raised the column of mercury, and so brought the centre of oscillation higher.Captains of Industry|James Parton
And so there is produced an oscillation and an average which represent a social state, an epoch, sometimes a whole civilization.Amiel's Journal|Henri-Frdric Amiel
The oscillation frequency of the plate was once in a second, and the magnification employed was ten thousand times.Life Movements in Plants|Sir Jagadis Chunder Bose
This audion is in a feed-back circuit, the oscillation frequency of which depends upon the condenser C and the inductance L.Letters of a Radio-Engineer to His Son|John Mills
British Dictionary definitions for oscillation
- regular fluctuation in value, position, or state about a mean value, such as the variation in an alternating current or the regular swinging of a pendulum
- a single cycle of such a fluctuation