- a cropping out, as of a stratum or vein at the surface of the earth.
- the exposed portion of such a stratum or vein.
- something that emerges suddenly or violently in the manner of an outcrop; outbreak: an outcrop of student demonstrations.
- to crop out, as strata.
Origin of outcrop
Related Words for outcroppingdevelopment, reaction, product, decision, consequence, outcome, issue, event, conclusion, emanation, consummation, crop, close, settlement, proceeds, payoff, completion, end, sequence, fruition
Examples from the Web for outcropping
Contemporary Examples of outcropping
Schettino was the captain of the Costa Concordia when it crashed into an outcropping off Giglio last Jan. 13.Costa Concordia’s Captain’s Culpability in Crash and Deaths Weighed by Judge
Barbie Latza Nadeau
October 16, 2012
Historical Examples of outcropping
They never noticed the little heap of specimens from the outcropping.When the West Was Young
Frederick R. Bechdolt
I had one of the working eyes dig a cave in an outcropping of rock and wait for him.The Repairman
Not long thereafter, he rounded an outcropping of rock and it lay before him.Wind
Charles Louis Fontenay
But at this point, an expanse of outcropping rock baffled them completely.Heart of the Blue Ridge
But the outcropping willows at least served one useful purpose.The Bungalow Boys Along the Yukon
Dexter J. Forrester
- part of a rock formation or mineral vein that appears at the surface of the earth
- an emergence; appearance
- (of rock strata, mineral veins, etc) to protrude through the surface of the earth
- another word for crop out
Word Origin and History for outcropping
- An area of visible bedrock that is not covered with soil.