- the line by which a figure or object is defined or bounded; contour.
- a drawing or sketch restricted to line without shading or modeling of form.
- a general sketch, account, or report, indicating only the main features, as of a book, subject, or project: an outline of medieval history; an outline of a speech.
- outlines, the essential features or main aspects of something under discussion: At the first meeting, we gave her only the outlines of the project.
- Printing. an ornamented type in which the outside contours of each character appear in black, with the inside left white.
- to draw the outline of, or draw in outline, as a figure or object.
- to give an outline of; sketch the main features of: On the first day, the professor just outlined the course for us.
Origin of outline
SynonymsSee more synonyms for outline on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for outlined
On Monday afternoon, President Obama outlined the steps he was taking, without Congress, to address the police militarization.SWAT Lobby Shoots to Kill Police Reform After Ferguson
December 2, 2014
As Patrick Hruby outlined at Sports on Earth, the changes are for the most part positive.Will the NCAA Let Ohio State’s Kosta Karageorge Die in Vain?
December 1, 2014
Inside the quarantine zone, even more specific procedures were outlined to keep those within the bounds of it safe.1976 Vs. Today: Ebola’s Terrifying Evolution
September 10, 2014
In a popular article for Collider, Stemwedel outlined what she saw as a young woman working in a lab.Girls Love Science. We Tell Them Not To.
July 17, 2014
This sum, outlined in the penal code, is double for a male than it is for a female.Iran to Hang Abused Child Bride
June 20, 2014
Briefly she outlined the situation to Emma, who had long been her confidante.Grace Harlowe's Return to Overton Campus
Jessie Graham Flower
And how different was this new programme from the one outlined by Sir Marcus.It Happened in Egypt
C. N. Williamson
This immense, squared-off building was outlined against the sky.L'Assommoir
A very simple barge for this purpose is outlined in Figs. 25 and 26.Boys' Book of Model Boats
Raymond Francis Yates
Against this the pirate was outlined as he sat on his stool.In the Orbit of Saturn
Roman Frederick Starzl
- a preliminary or schematic plan, draft, account, etc
- (usually plural) the important features of an argument, theory, work, etc
- the line by which an object or figure is or appears to be bounded
- a drawing or manner of drawing consisting only of external lines
- (as modifier)an outline map
- to draw or display the outline of
- to give the main features or general idea of
Word Origin and History for outlined
1790, "to draw in outline," from outline (n.). Meaning "to describe in general terms" is from 1855. Related: Outlined; outlining.