- prominent; conspicuous; striking: an outstanding example of courage.
- marked by superiority or distinction; excellent; distinguished: an outstanding student.
- continuing in existence; remaining unsettled, unpaid, etc.: outstanding debts.
- (of securities and the like) publicly issued and sold or in circulation.
- standing out; projecting: a stiff, outstanding fabric.
- Archaic. that resists or opposes.
Origin of outstanding
Synonyms for outstandingSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
- to be prominent.
- to stay or remain beyond: to outstand the hour.
Origin of outstand
Related Words for outstandingsuperior, great, dominant, impressive, exceptional, phenomenal, magnificent, eminent, well-known, famous, bad, important, superlative, distinguished, special, preeminent, remarkable, noteworthy, leading, notable
Examples from the Web for outstanding
Contemporary Examples of outstanding
Reviews have been outstanding, with many film critics calling it one of the best films of the year.Dr. King Goes to Hollywood: The Flawed History of ‘Selma’
January 2, 2015
This is both an outstanding work of scholarship and a commanding visual document.The Best Coffee Table Books of 2014
December 13, 2014
For a longer list of 200 outstanding releases, click here.The Best Albums of 2014
December 13, 2014
Because Wright was a no-show in criminal court to face the loud music and pot bust he already had an outstanding warrant.The Navy ‘Hero’ Who Pimped an HIV-Positive Teen
December 11, 2014
A “komitetchik par excellence,” a man of “outstanding mediocrity,” and “the grave digger of the revolution.”Kotkin Biography Reveals Stalin's Evil Pragmatism
November 30, 2014
Historical Examples of outstanding
Of the world as it is the outstanding fact is the necessity for struggle.The Conquest of Fear
Hector Hall had come to collect his outstanding account at last.The Flockmaster of Poison Creek
George W. Ogden
He arranged them first this way and then that way, but there was always about a dozen outstanding.Wild Justice: Stories of the South Seas
Challenges of this kind to inventiveness and activity are outstanding all the time.Rural Life and the Rural School
Although there are a number of variations, two outstanding types are recognizable.College Teaching
- superior; excellent; distinguished
- prominent, remarkable, or striking
- still in existence; unsettled, unpaid, or unresolved
- (of shares, bonds, etc) issued and sold
- projecting or jutting upwards or outwards
- (intr) to be outstanding or excel
- (intr) nautical to stand out to sea
- (tr) archaic to last beyond