- to put into a form suitable for acting on a stage.
- to express or represent vividly, emotionally, or strikingly: He dramatizes his woes with sobs and sighs.
- to express oneself in a dramatic or exaggerated way.
Also especially British, dram·a·tise.
Origin of dramatize
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (tr) to put into dramatic form
- to express or represent (something) in a dramatic or exaggerated wayhe dramatizes his illness
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for over-dramatize
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper