- the act or process of explaining.
- something that explains; a statement made to clarify something and make it understandable; exposition: an explanation of a poem.
- a meaning or interpretation: to find an explanation for a mystery.
- a mutual declaration of the meaning of words spoken, actions, motives, etc., with a view to adjusting a misunderstanding or reconciling differences: After a long and emotional explanation they were friends again.
Origin of explanation
SynonymsSee more synonyms for explanation on Thesaurus.com
1. elucidation, explication, exposition, interpretation, description. 3. solution, key, answer.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the act or process of explaining
- a statement or occurrence that explains
- a clarification of disputed terms or points; reconciliation
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for over-explanation
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper