- the act or process of explaining.
- something that explains; a statement made to clarify something and make it understandable; exposition: an explanation of a poem.
- a meaning or interpretation: to find an explanation for a mystery.
- a mutual declaration of the meaning of words spoken, actions, motives, etc., with a view to adjusting a misunderstanding or reconciling differences: After a long and emotional explanation they were friends again.
Origin of explanation
SynonymsSee more synonyms for explanation on Thesaurus.com
1. elucidation, explication, exposition, interpretation, description. 3. solution, key, answer.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for explanation
Have you looked around the American Dental Association website for an explanation of how fluoridation actually works?Anti-Fluoriders Are The OG Anti-Vaxxers
July 27, 2016
This was later repurposed in Europe as an explanation for racial superiority, and the term “Aryan” came to define a white race.The Himalayas’ Hidden Aryans
January 3, 2015
That explanation is believable…but increasingly less so when you hear Jay talk about the nature of his relationship with Adnan.The Deal With Serial’s Jay? He’s Pissed Off, Mucks Up Our Timeline
December 31, 2014
The deacon said he is demanding an explanation from Williams.Exposed: The Gay-Bashing Pastor’s Same-Sex Assault
December 21, 2014
However the expression on his face offered some explanation.The Life and Hard Times Of The Family A Cuban Defector Left Behind
December 19, 2014
He started at the words, and looked eagerly in her face for an explanation.
There could probably be no concealment, certainly no explanation.
Harry turned to Philip and spoke to him, shouting in his ear the explanation.
"I can't tell you what I mean," he was saying in explanation.
There must have been a sound, and he glanced over to the trapper for an explanation.
- the act or process of explaining
- a statement or occurrence that explains
- a clarification of disputed terms or points; reconciliation
Word Origin and History for explanation
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper