- excessively busy with trifles; anxious or particular about petty details.
- hard to satisfy or please: a fussy eater.
- (of clothes, decoration, etc.) elaborately made, trimmed, or decorated: All the bric-a-brac gave the room a fussy, cluttered look.
- full of details, especially in excess: His writing is so fussy I lose the thread of the story.
Origin of fussy
SynonymsSee more synonyms for fussy on Thesaurus.com
2. particular, choosy, finicky, persnickety.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for over-fussy
- inclined to fuss over minor points
- very particular about detail
- characterized by overelaborate detailthe furniture was too fussy to be elegant
Word Origin and History for over-fussy
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper