- stuffed or filled to excess.
- Furniture. having the entire frame covered by stuffing and upholstery, so that only decorative woodwork or the like is exposed: an overstuffed sofa.
- filled with tedious or extraneous material; overlong: an overstuffed biography.
- obese; corpulent: an overstuffed man who was a compulsive eater.
Origin of overstuffed
- to force too much into: If you overstuff your suitcase, the fastenings may not hold.
- Furniture. to cover completely with deep upholstery.
Origin of overstuff
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Wordsobese, corpulent, pudgy, wedge, shove, stow, pack, pad, cram, squeeze, fill, heavy, gross, fat, stout, plump, outsize, gormandize, satiate, ram
Examples from the Web for over-stuffed
The over-stuffed furniture of the four-room apartment was sold.Gigolo
Lo, Finny, said she, have a seat on the over-stuffed furniture.Betty Lee, Sophomore
David Goodger (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Three doors away, the old queen lay on the heap of over-stuffed mattresses, nestled in the center of an immense four-poster bed.Captives of the Flame
Samuel R. Delany
There was a scurrying aboard ship for couches and over-stuffed chairs.Hunters Out of Space
Joseph Everidge Kelleam
- to force too much into
- to cover (furniture) entirely with upholstery
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for over-stuffed
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper