- an act or instance of overdrawing a checking account.
- a check overdrawn on a checking account.
- the amount overdrawn.
- an excessive drawing on or drawing off of something.
- a draft made to pass over a fire, as in a furnace.
- a draft passing downward through a kiln.
- Metalworking. a tendency of a rolled piece to curve upward after passing through a stand, occurring when the lower roll is faster than the upper.
Origin of overdraft
Related Words for overdraftloss, liquidation, disaster, insolvency, default, failure, ruination, privation, nonpayment, destitution, ruin, lack, indigence, indebtedness, repudiation, exhaustion, defalcation, pauperism, overdraft, forgery
Examples from the Web for overdraft
Contemporary Examples of overdraft
He suggested that the sum in question was related to making good an overdraft at JPMorgan in London.Jon Corzine Can’t Answer $1.2 Billion Question About MF Global at Hearing
December 16, 2011
The queen mother was said to have died with an overdraft at Coutts of more than £2 million; it was settled by her daughter.Juiciest Bits From the Royal Exposé
October 31, 2011
So far, just being me has taken me to a 250-square-foot apartment and the overdraft protection black list.Get Famous or Your Money Back
June 18, 2009
Historical Examples of overdraft
The Prince has had an overdraft; you will give me a statement; that's all!Serge Panine, Complete
We are saved; the overdraft will be paid off, and we are in smooth water again.The Marriage of Esther
The law has at least stopped the overdraft, but we still lack the $500.The Idyl of Twin Fires
Walter Prichard Eaton
No money was drawn out of the bank by Cowperwood & Co. after that to create an overdraft.The Financier
Suppose it were a check on an overdrawn account; would Providence intervene to prevent an overdraft?The Main Chance
- a draft or withdrawal of money in excess of the credit balance on a bank or building-society cheque account
- the amount of money drawn or withdrawn thus
The amount by which a check exceeds the funds on deposit to cover it.