- (of a mating couple) to form and maintain a pair bond.
- a partnership between a mating couple that lasts through one season, serving primarily in the cooperative rearing of young.
- the couple that forms such a partnership.
Origin of pair bond
First recorded in 1935–40
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for pair-bond
However, each ritualized display seemingly strengthens the pair-bond.
- the exclusive relationship formed between a male and a female, esp in some species of animals and birds during courtship and breeding
- The temporary or permanent association formed between a female and male animal during courtship and mating.