- a list of persons summoned for service as jurors.
- the body of persons composing a jury.
- (in Scotland) the person or persons arraigned for trial.
- a flat piece of wood of varying kinds on which a picture is painted.
- a picture painted on such a piece of wood.
- the space on the chord of a truss between any two adjacent joints made by principal web members with the chord.
- the space within the web of a truss between any two such joints and a corresponding pair of joints or a single joint on an opposite chord.
verb (used with object), pan·eled, pan·el·ing or (especially British) pan·elled, pan·el·ling.
Origin of panel
Related formsre·pan·el, verb (used with object), re·pan·eled, re·pan·el·ing or (especially British) re·pan·elled, re·pan·el·ling.sub·pan·el, nounun·pan·eled, adjectiveun·pan·elled, adjective
Definition for panelling (2 of 2)
Examples from the Web for panelling
The angles are emphasized by octagonal projections, the panelling of which seems to have ruled that of the whole structure.
Sashes all knock-kneed, panelling out of the square, or painters with their paint all blistering and peeling off.Original Penny Readings|George Manville Fenn
I catch sight of a small door, in the panelling, on my right at the end of this corridor, closing quickly.Happy-Thought Hall|F. C. Burnand
The brilliant colours against the dark green of the trees form a most suitable relief to the uniform brown of the panelling.Yorkshire Painted And Described|Gordon Home
A fire burned upon the centre hearth in the hall, and threw shadows on the panelling.Eric Brighteyes|H. Rider Haggard
British Dictionary definitions for panelling (1 of 2)
British Dictionary definitions for panelling (2 of 2)
- a group of persons selected to act as a team in a quiz, to judge a contest, to discuss a topic before an audience, etc
- (as modifier)a panel game
- a list of persons summoned for jury service
- the persons on a specific jury
- a thin board used as a surface or backing for an oil painting
- a painting done on such a surface
- a list of patients insured under the National Health Insurance Scheme
- a list of medical practitioners within a given area available for consultation by these patients
verb -els, -elling or -elled or US -els, -eling or -eled (tr)
- to empanel (a jury)
- (in Scotland) to bring (a person) to trial; indict