- experimental or natural union of two individuals with exchange of blood.
- Physiology. the temporary loss of conductivity or excitability of a nerve cell.
Origin of parabiosis
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the natural union of two individuals, such as Siamese twins, so that they share a common circulation of the blood
- a similar union induced for experimental or therapeutic purposes
C20: from para- 1 + Greek biōsis manner of life, from bios life
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- The fusion of whole eggs or embryos, as occurs in conjoined twins.
- Surgical joining of the vascular systems of two organisms.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.