- of or relating to a parent.
- proper to or characteristic of a parent: parental feelings.
- having the relation of a parent
- Genetics. pertaining to the sequence of generations preceding the filial generation, each generation being designated by a P followed by a subscript number indicating its place in the sequence.
- Informal. one's parent (often preceded by the): I'm headed for a vacation with the parentals.
Origin of parental
Related Words for parentalfatherly, maternal, paternal, affectionate, benevolent, benign, comforting, devoted, fond, forbearing, gentle, indulgent, kind, loving, motherly, protective, tender, warm, watchful, supportive
Examples from the Web for parental
Contemporary Examples of parental
Some seventy-plus countries currently offer some paternity leave or parental leave days reserved for the father.How Good Dads Can Change the World
Gary Barker, PhD, Michael Kaufman
January 6, 2015
The court papers are sealed, but the couple has made it clear they want to be relieved of their parental responsibilities.Judge: Rehoming Kids Is Trafficking
December 30, 2014
The parental fold may be about to envelope you—and yet also drive you mad.How to Make It Through Thanksgiving Alive
November 26, 2014
And at $29.99, lighting up all sense of parental dignity and responsibility costs less than a carton of actual cigarettes.Sexy Ebola Nurse & More of the Year’s Worst Halloween Costumes
October 30, 2014
Granted, Apple and Facebook have made tremendous strides in terms of expanding their parental leave policies over the years.Don’t Be Fooled by Apple and Facebook, Egg Freezing Is Not a Benefit
October 17, 2014
Historical Examples of parental
The voice of parental and conjugal tenderness was silent in the grave!Female Scripture Biographies, Vol. I
Francis Augustus Cox
I suspect that he was shocked at my neglect of parental duties.Some Reminiscences
Did they realize that it was poured before the altar of parental devotion?Peak and Prairie
The mighty machines were far too powerful for the prejudices of parental hearts.Socialism
And now, together with my parental blessing, I bequeath to you this doll.Russian Fairy Tales
W. R. S. Ralston
- of or relating to a parent or parenthood
- genetics designating the first generation in a line, which gives rise to all succeeding (filial) generations
1620s, from Latin parentalis "of parents," from parens (see parent (n.)). Related: Parentally.
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of a parent.
- Of or designating the generation of organisms from which hybrid offspring are produced.