- Anatomy. of, relating to, or situated near the side and top of the skull or the parietal bone.
- Biology. of or relating to parietes or structural walls.
- Botany. pertaining to or arising from a wall: usually applied to ovules when they proceed from or are borne on the walls or sides of the ovary.
- pertaining to or having authority over residence, and especially visitation regulations between the sexes, within the walls or buildings of a college or university: a listing of the parietal regulations for the law students' dormitory.
- Anatomy. any of several parts in the parietal region of the skull, especially the parietal bone.
- parietals. Also called parietal rules. campus regulations governing visits between members of opposite sexes to each other's dormitories or rooms.
Origin of parietal
Examples from the Web for parietal
In this instance an occipital lesion was associated with the parietal.Surgical Experiences in South Africa, 1899-1900
George Henry Makins
Nations where it is in the parietal diameter are called brakhykephalic.The Natural History of the Varieties of Man
Robert Gordon Latham
This was in 1879, long before the discovery of parietal art in France.Men of the Old Stone Age
Henry Fairfield Osborn
Parietal (placent, &c.), attached to the walls (parietes) of the ovary.The Elements of Botany
In this case the ovary is unilocular, and the placentas are parietal.
- anatomy biology of, relating to, or forming the walls or part of the walls of a bodily cavity or similar structurethe parietal bones of the skull
- of or relating to the side of the skull
- (of plant ovaries) having ovules attached to the walls
- US living or having authority within a college
- a parietal bone
Word Origin and History for parietal
early 15c., "pertaining to the walls of a cavity in the body," from Late Latin parietalis "of walls," from Latin paries (genitive parietis) "wall" (of a building), of unknown origin. In U.S. also "pertaining to the residents and rules of a college or university" (1837).
- Relating to or forming the wall of any cavity.
- Of or relating to either of the parietal bones.