- an amount, bill, etc., that is to be paid.
- payables, the accounts payable of a business: Payables are now handled by our computer.
Origin of payable
Related Words for payableowed, unpaid, outstanding, due, mature, maturing, obligatory, overdue, owing, unsettled, receivable
Examples from the Web for payable
Historical Examples of payable
Endorse this cheque 'Jane Meredith' and make it payable to me personally.Her Father's Daughter
This dividend was payable in capital stock and was equal to 30 per cent.The Railroad Question
Them checks was payable to "Bearer," you remember, so I give 'em to him.The Depot Master
Joseph C. Lincoln
This work is sold to subscribers only, payable on delivery of each volume.The Electoral Votes of 1876
David Dudley Field
He knew that in that case he would not wish to pay the debt in the only way in which it would be payable.Is He Popenjoy?
- (often foll by on) to be paidpayable on the third of each month
- that is capable of being paid
- capable of being profitable
- (of a debt) imposing an obligation on the debtor to pay, esp at once