- the payment of a salary, debt, wager, etc.
- the time at which such payment is made.
- the consequence, outcome, or final sequence in a series of events, actions, or circumstances: The payoff was when they fired him.
- Informal. the climax of something, especially a story or joke.
- a settlement or reckoning, as in retribution or reward.
- Informal. a bribe.
- yielding results, especially rewarding or decisive results: The payoff play was the long pass into the end zone.
Origin of payoff
Synonyms for payoffSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for payoffconsequence, outcome, reward, payment, settlement, retribution, culmination, pay, finale, clincher, result, upshot, adjustment, judgment
Examples from the Web for payoff
Contemporary Examples of payoff
Critics accused Foster of giving Duke a payoff to stay out of the race; that was never proven.The Louisiana Racists Who Courted Steve Scalise
January 3, 2015
If we enter with science and respect, the payoff will last generations.For Rent: Priceless Historic Sites
November 16, 2014
He wants “more than a handout, a payoff, hush money, or a reluctant bribe.”America Is Coming to Terms with Its Racial Past—Let’s Look Ahead Instead
May 22, 2014
The sentence is dictated by statute and therefore the defendant gets next to no payoff for his guilty plea.How Justin Bieber Can Beat His DUI
Eboni K. Williams
February 26, 2014
But, they more than payoff as a chance to see classic, clever sketch comedy in its earliest days of television.Sid Caesar’s 5 Funniest Moments
February 13, 2014
Historical Examples of payoff
Suppose the Elsinore had persisted in her refusal to payoff?The Mutiny of the Elsinore
De Quille had not missed the opportunity of his comrade's absence to payoff some old scores.Mark Twain, A Biography, 1835-1910, Complete
Albert Bigelow Paine
After weeks of neglecting his tip sheet to study catatonia, he felt close to the payoff.At the Post
Horace Leonard Gold
And the duke went away, promising to payoff the gentlemen for their interruption.Chicot the Jester
Alexandre Dumas, Pere
And frequently no one suspects the direction the payoff finally takes.The Practical Values of Space Exploration
Committee on Science and Astronautics