- a trait, manner, characteristic, or habit that is odd or unusual.
- oddity; singularity; eccentricity.
- a distinguishing quality or characteristic.
- the quality or condition of being peculiar.
Origin of peculiarity
Synonyms for peculiaritySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for peculiarityquirk, idiosyncrasy, foible, distinctiveness, trait, eccentricity, particularity, abnormality, kink, savor, attribute, slant, character, feature, specialty, twist, mark, mannerism, affectation, singularity
Examples from the Web for peculiarity
Contemporary Examples of peculiarity
“The peculiarity of this book is that I never saw it coming,” Burke said.James Lee Burke Talks About His Fiction, History, and the American Dream
July 20, 2014
Adding to the peculiarity of the case is the lack of motive.Melissa Huckaby's Other Victim
April 21, 2009
Historical Examples of peculiarity
From this peculiarity he names the disorder Convulsio spargens.The Devil's Dictionary
When it fails, it is in consequence of some peculiarity in the composition of the ink.Directions for Cookery, in its Various Branches
The peculiarity of my temper is, ma'am, that I won't be swallowed up alive.'
It was the peculiarity of the nuptials that they were all Bride.
What was the peculiarity about the mine which constituted its recommendation to investors?A Woman Intervenes
- a strange or unusual habit or characteristic
- a distinguishing trait, etc that is characteristic of a particular person; idiosyncrasy
- the state or quality of being peculiar