- any of several plants having round or roundish leaves, as the navelwort.
Origin of pennywort
Examples from the Web for pennywort
Historical Examples of pennywort
The flowers of the Pennywort are greenish-white, tinged with red.
Some ferns and the pennywort will grow on the wall close to the roof.The Open Air
The Pennywort is one of those plants with a creeping stem, which lies along the surface of the ground.
According to Gerarde this cymbalari was an aquatic species of pennywort, highly poisonous.
Just where I am staying now the pennywort grows on every wall attached to the mortar between the cobbles.Field and Hedgerow
- Also called: navelwort a crassulaceous Eurasian rock plant, Umbilicus rupestris (or Cotyledon umbilicus), with whitish-green tubular flowers and rounded leaves
- a marsh plant, Hydrocotyle vulgaris, of Europe and North Africa, having circular leaves and greenish-pink flowers: family Hydrocotylaceae
- a gentianaceous plant, Obolaria virginica, of E North America, with fleshy scalelike leaves and small white or purplish flowers
- any of various other plants with rounded penny-like leaves