- to subject (food) to an artificial, partial digestion by pepsin or pancreatic extract in order to aid digestion.
- to hydrolyze or dissolve by a proteolytic enzyme, as pepsin.
Origin of peptonize
Examples from the Web for peptonize
Historical Examples of peptonize
Milk thus prepared quickly spoils, and it is necessary to peptonize it in small quantity and often during the twenty-four hours.
Attention to the bowels is of great importance in these cases and it may be necessary to peptonize the milk for some time.The Eugenic Marriage, Vol 2 (of 4)
W. Grant Hague
- (tr) to hydrolyse (a protein) to peptones by enzymic action, esp by pepsin or pancreatic extract
- To convert protein into a soluble peptone by enzymatic action.
- To dissolve food by means of a proteolytic enzyme.
- To combine with peptone.