- the area in front of the anus extending to the fourchette of the vulva in the female and to the scrotum in the male.
- the diamond-shaped area corresponding to the outlet of the pelvis, containing the anus and vulva or the roots of the penis.
Origin of perineum
Examples from the Web for perineal
Historical Examples of perineal
At Ido-ido, which is Kuni, the petticoats ceased, and there was only the perineal band.The Mafulu
Robert W. Williamson
In this case the disease was believed to have originated from a perineal fistula.History of Circumcision from the Earliest Times to the Present
Peter Charles Remondino
It goes without saying that the perineal region should be kept scrupulously clean.Benign Stupors
For a moment he was undecided what to do, then, with an exclamation of satisfaction, he stripped himself but for a perineal band.Caravans By Night
A perineal band is the only form of extension possible under these circumstances.Surgical Experiences in South Africa, 1899-1900
George Henry Makins
- the region of the body between the anus and the genital organs, including some of the underlying structures
- the nearly diamond-shaped surface of the human trunk between the thighs
Word Origin for perineum
"region of the body between the anus and the genital organs" (jocularly called a taint), early 15c., from Medieval Latin perinaeon, Late Latin perineum, from Greek perinaion, perinaios, from peri- "near" (see peri-) + inan "to carry off by evacuation," of unknown origin.
- The portion of the body in the pelvis occupied by urogenital passages and the rectum, bounded in front by the pubic arch, in the back by the coccyx, and laterally by part of the hipbone.
- The region between the scrotum and the anus in males, and between the posterior vulva junction and the anus in females.
- The region between the scrotum and the anus in males, and between the posterior vulva and the anus in females.