- causing destruction, ruin, extreme discomfort, or death: lost in the perishing cold.
Origin of perishing
- to die or be destroyed through violence, privation, etc.: to perish in an earthquake.
- to pass away or disappear: an age of elegance that has forever perished.
- to suffer destruction or ruin: His valuable paintings perished in the fire.
- to suffer spiritual death: Save us, lest we perish.
- perish the thought, may it never happen: used facetiously or as an afterthought of foreboding.
Origin of perish
Synonyms for perish
Antonyms for perish
Related Words for perishingdisintegrate, crumble, wither, cease, disappear, vanish, rot, succumb, decease, depart, collapse, pass, corrupt, expire, demise, fall, go, end, waste, decompose
Examples from the Web for perishing
Contemporary Examples of perishing
In "the haste of the workers, the feeling for form itself, the ear and eye for the melody of movements are [. . .] perishing."Zany, Cute, Interesting: What the Words We Use Say About Us
October 23, 2012
Historical Examples of perishing
Well, pray keep up a good fire, for it is a perishing night.The Field of Ice
Their country is perishing for lack of a knowledge which they cannot supply.Leading Articles on Various Subjects
The other, so challenged, answered, "When we were perishing of cold and there was a great depth of snow."Anabasis
In short, romance is perishing from the sea with the universal invasion of steam.Six Letters From the Colonies
We were surrounded with water, yet perishing 136 with thirst!The Rambles of a Rat
A. L. O. E.
- informal (of weather, etc) extremely cold
- slang (intensifier qualifying something undesirable)it's a perishing nuisance!
- to be destroyed or die, esp in an untimely way
- (tr sometimes followed by with or from) to cause to sufferwe were perished with cold
- to rotleather perishes if exposed to bad weather
- perish the thought! may it never be or happen thus
- do a perish Australian informal to die or come near to dying of thirst or starvation
Word Origin for perish
In addition to the idiom beginning with perish
- perish the thought
- publish or perish