- the process of degenerating.
- the condition or state of being degenerate.
- a process by which a tissue deteriorates, loses functional activity, and may become converted into or replaced by other kinds of tissue.
- the condition produced by such a process.
Origin of degeneration
Related Words for degenerationdecay, decline, declination, decadence, declension, degeneracy, decadency, decaying
Examples from the Web for degeneration
Contemporary Examples of degeneration
Writing on stars are mostly about gossip and scandal, a degeneration into lifestyle reporting.Scarlett Johansson is an Alien Seductress in ‘Under the Skin’
April 3, 2014
Two things become more likely with age, she said: degeneration and cancer.World Science Festival: Can We Really Live to 1,000?
June 5, 2011
Historical Examples of degeneration
In both sexes there is a tendency to neurosis and degeneration.
Alcohol especially facilitates the degeneration of sexual life.
The exact cause of the degeneration has not yet been found, but the fact is certain.
I have designated this degeneration by the term blastophthoria.
That degeneration was not confined to the great emigrant race.Legends of the Saxon Saints
Aubrey de Vere
- the process of degenerating
- the state of being degenerate
- biology the loss of specialization, function, or structure by organisms and their parts, as in the development of vestigial organs
- impairment or loss of the function and structure of cells or tissues, as by disease or injury, often leading to death (necrosis) of the involved part
- the resulting condition
- electronics negative feedback of a signal
c.1600, from French dégéneration (15c.) or directly from Late Latin degenerationem (nominative degeneratio), noun of action from past participle stem of Latin degenerare (see degenerate (adj.)).
- The gradual deterioration of specific tissues, cells, or organs with impairment or loss of function, caused by injury, disease, or aging.
- The evolutionary decline or loss of a function, characteristic, or structure in an organism or a species.