- a salty, watery fluid secreted by the sweat glands of the skin, especially when very warm as a result of strenuous exertion; sweat.
- the act or process of perspiring.
Origin of perspiration
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for perspiration
He was grabbing my hips and he was pouring with perspiration and he had this cheesy smile.From Playboy Prince to Dirty Old Man?
January 5, 2015
The New Moon insists on persistence and perspiration in equal measure.Your Week: What the Stars Predict
Starsky + Cox
August 28, 2011
Perspiration is a crucial ingredient, but even a dab of it will do you proud.What the Stars Predict for Your Week
Starsky + Cox
August 20, 2011
They say that success is 10 per cent inspiration and 90 per cent perspiration, and perspiration didn't really interest her.A Fashion Icon's Life After Death
July 7, 2010
His face was livid, and great beads of perspiration stood on his brow.In the Midst of Alarms
The spasm loosed beads of perspiration which stood cold on his forehead.Thoroughbreds
W. A. Fraser
The perspiration stood in beads on the boy's sallow forehead; but he said nothing.The Boy Life of Napoleon
The perspiration of the literary labour dropped from his brow.The Secret Agent
Very red and covered with perspiration, Doctor Bonamy waved his arms.The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete
- the act or process of insensibly eliminating fluid through the pores of the skin, which evaporates immediately
- the sensible elimination of fluid through the pores of the skin, which is visible as droplets on the skin
- the salty fluid secreted through the pores of the skin; sweat
Word Origin and History for perspiration
1610s, from French perspiration (1560s), noun of action from perspirer "perspire," from Latin perspirare "blow or breathe constantly," from per- "through" (see per) + spirare "to breathe, blow" (see spirit (n.)). Applied to excretion of invisible moistures through the skin (1620s), hence used as a euphemism for "sweat" from 1725.
- The fluid, consisting of water with small amounts of urea and salts, that is excreted through the pores of the skin by the sweat glands.
- The act or process of excreting this fluid through the pores of the skin.