- constriction of the orifice of the prepuce so as to prevent the foreskin from being drawn back to uncover the glans penis.
- a similar condition involving the clitoris.
- narrowness of the vagina.
Origin of phimosis
1665–75; < New Latin phīmōsis < Greek phīmṓsis literally, a muzzling, equivalent to phīmō-, verbid stem of phīmoûn to muzzle + -sis -sis
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- abnormal tightness of the foreskin, preventing its being retracted over the tip of the penis
Word Origin for phimosis
C17: via New Latin from Greek: a muzzling, from phimos a muzzle
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
1670s, from Greek phimosis, literally "muzzling," from phimos "a muzzle."
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Relating to phimosis.
- An abnormal constriction of the foreskin that prevents it from being drawn back to uncover the glans penis.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.