- constriction of the orifice of the prepuce so as to prevent the foreskin from being drawn back to uncover the glans penis.
- a similar condition involving the clitoris.
- narrowness of the vagina.
Origin of phimosis
Examples from the Web for phimosis
Historical Examples of phimosis
It is said to be caused by phimosis, and to be cured by circumcision.The Nervous Child
Hector Charles Cameron
A remedy which is almost always successful in small boys is circumcision, especially when there is any degree of phimosis.Plain Facts for Old and Young
John Harvey Kellogg
Phimosis is an ancient attendant on our inheritance of the prepuce, we being, in fact, born with it; this is the rule.
The word or term “phimosis” is derived from two Greek roots, signifying “string” and “to tighten,” or “to tie with a string.”
Another co-existing condition with phimosis, very often found, is a shortening of the frenum.
- abnormal tightness of the foreskin, preventing its being retracted over the tip of the penis
Word Origin for phimosis
1670s, from Greek phimosis, literally "muzzling," from phimos "a muzzle."
- An abnormal constriction of the foreskin that prevents it from being drawn back to uncover the glans penis.