verb (used without object), plead·ed or pled, plead·ing.
- to make any allegation or plea in an action at law.
- to put forward an answer on the part of a defendant to a legal declaration or charge.
- to address a court as an advocate.
- Obsolete. to prosecute a suit or action at law.
verb (used with object), plead·ed or pled, plead·ing.
- to maintain (a cause) by argument before a court.
- to allege or set forth (something) formally in an action at law.
- to allege or cite in legal defense: to plead a statute of limitations.
Origin of plead
Related formsre·plead, verb, re·plead·ed, re·plead·ing.un·plead·ed, adjective
Examples from the Web for pleaded
Family members have said they pleaded with the women not to head to Syria.Jihadis Release New Year’s Eve Video of Italian Female Hostages|Jamie Dettmer, Barbie Latza Nadeau|January 2, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Two weeks before trial, Beebe pleaded guilty to a single charge of aggravated sexual battery.I Was Gang Raped at a UVA Frat 30 Years Ago, and No One Did Anything|Liz Seccuro|December 16, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Korematsu knew firsthand the dangers of war-time hysteria and pleaded that we not make that mistake again.
“You have a drink with Mitch McConnell,” he pleaded with all two thousand-plus in attendance.
Anderson pleaded with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to ban clothing made from animal fur.
Dacres pleaded so earnestly that he was permitted to go with the small crew in search of the missing man.The Cruise of the "Lively Bee"|John De Morgan
In vain he pleaded, in caressing undertones, that she should ride with him.A Modern Chronicle, Complete|Winston Churchill
"I wish you wouldn't come back tonight, Helen," Mrs. Nash pleaded.Campfire Girls in the Allegheny Mountains|Stella M. Francis
They pleaded with her, on bended knees, in the village church, to ward off this dread enemy and to send them protection.Our Little Polish Cousin|Florence E. Mendel
"Oh, please don't be angry, but lend it me," pleaded the boy.Lone Pine|R. B. (Richard Baxter) Townshend
British Dictionary definitions for pleaded
verb pleads, pleading, pleaded, plead (plɛd) or esp US and Scot pled (plɛd)
- to file pleadings
- to address a court as an advocate