Origin of plugged-in
- a mandrel on which tubes are formed.
- a punch on which a cup is drawn.
- a protrusion on a forging die for forming a recess in the work.
- a false bottom on a die.
verb (used with object), plugged, plug·ging.
verb (used without object), plugged, plug·ging.
- to connect to an electrical power source: Plug the TV set in over there.
- Informal.to add or include; incorporate: They still have to plug in more research data.
- to connect or become connected by or as if by means of a plug: The device will plug into any convenient wall outlet. The proposed new departments would eventually plug into the overall organizational plan.
- Informal.to feel an affinity for; like; understand: Some kids just don't plug into sports in school.
Origin of plug
Related Words for plugged inwell-rounded, sensible, experienced, wise, conscious, brilliant, intelligent, discerning, informed, sophisticated, appreciative, perceptive, learned, conversant, well-informed, smart, insightful, watchful, cautious, respectful
- a cake of pressed or twisted tobacco, esp for chewing
- a small piece of such a cake
verb plugs, plugging or plugged
Word Origin for plug
1620s, originally a seamen's term, probably from Dutch plug, Middle Dutch plugge "bung, stopper," related to Norwegian plugg, Danish pløg, North Frisian plaak, Middle Low German pluck, German Pflock; ultimate origin uncertain. Irish and Gaelic words are from English. Sense of "wad or stick of tobacco" is attested from 1728, based on resemblance. Electrical sense is from 1883, based on being inserted; meaning "sparking device in an internal combustion engine" is from 1886. Meaning "advertisement" first recorded 1902, American English, perhaps from verb sense "work energetically at" (c.1865).
"close tightly (a hole), fill," 1620s, from plug (n.) or from Dutch pluggen. Meaning "work energetically at" is c.1865. Sense of "popularize by repetition" is from 1906. Slang sense "put a bullet into" is recorded from 1870. Related: Plugged; plugging.
In addition to the idiom beginning with plug
- plug away at
- plugged in, be
- peg (plug) away at
- pull the plug on