- a union territory of India, on the Coromandel Coast: formerly the chief settlement of French India; territory includes Mahé (on the Malabar Coast), Karikal, and Yanaon. 181 sq. mi. (469 sq. km).
- a seaport in and the capital of this territory.
Also Pon·di·ché·ry [pawn-dee-shey-ree] /pɔ̃ di ʃeɪˈri/.
Compare French India.
Formerly Pon·di·cher·ry [pon-di-cher-ee, -sher-ee] /ˌpɒn dɪˈtʃɛr i, -ˈʃɛr i/.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for pondicherry
The cage that attracted me most was that of Pondicherry vultures.The Confessions of a Caricaturist, Vol 2 (of 2)
So he borrowed the name of a friend who had gone to Pondicherry.Dross
Henry Seton Merriman
The church organ they sent off to Pondicherry as one of the spoils of war.
They captured Pondicherry, and they destroyed its fortifications.
What, if I induce the minister to restore to us Pondicherry?Imaginary Conversations and Poems
Walter Savage Landor
- the former official name (until 2006) for Puducherry
- a Union Territory of SE India: transferred from French to Indian administration in 1954 and made a Union Territory in 1962. Capital: Puducherry. Pop: 973 829 (2001 est). Area: 479 sq km (185 sq miles)
- a port in SE India, capital of the Union Territory of Puducherry (Pondicherry), on the Coromandel Coast. Pop: 220 749 (2001)
Former official name (until 2006): Pondicherry