- constructive and sure, rather than skeptical.
- concerned with or based on matters of experience: positive philosophy.
- of, relating to, or characterized by positive electricity.
- indicating a point in a circuit that has a higher potential than that of another point, the current flowing from the point of higher potential to the point of lower potential.
- (of blood, affected tissue, etc.) indicating the presence of a specified medical condition or substance:Her urine was positive for opiates.
- (of a diagnostic test) indicating the presence of the medical condition or substance tested for:a positive test for tuberculosis.
- (of a person) diagnosed as having a specified medical condition, or having a specified substance in the body (often used in combination):He's HIV positive.She tested positive for lupus.
- the positive degree.
- a form in the positive, as good or smooth.
SYNONYMS FOR positive
LEARN THE SPANISH WORDS FOR THESE COMMON ANIMALS!
Origin of positive
synonym study for positive
OTHER WORDS FROM positive
Example sentences from the Web for positive
Marlow: But the positives this season far outweighed the negatives.Inside ‘Orange Is the New Black’ S2, Eps. 6-12: About That Shocking Incest Scene|Kevin Fallon, Marlow Stern|June 20, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The positives of meditation are many, but mastering the practice can be a challenge.High-Tech Meditation: Swap Your Yogi for a Headset|Gregory Ferenstein|April 14, 2014|DAILY BEAST
But there are a lot of positives in the relationship, too, and both presidents were at pains to stress them.The West Can Ally Against Russia But It Needs Global Cooperation|Bruce Jones|March 26, 2014|DAILY BEAST
But the positives are moot if people fail to recognize the problem of eWaste and to realize they can do their part to reduce it.ecoATM offers consumers a new way to sell used cell phones and electronic devices|Sarah Langs|September 1, 2013|DAILY BEAST
Now, for the positives: The big takeaway of the positive elements of the GOP is that culture war issues generally scored low.
By holding an electric light directly over a cell, and looking down, the color of both negatives and positives may be determined.
Positives do not swell or bulge as they discharge, but shed the active material.
If you intend to use some of the positives, they should now be washed.
The positives should be printed about one-third deeper than is required, and they should remain in the hypo.
If a battery is repeatedly over-discharged, this results in the positives shedding.
British Dictionary definitions for positive
- constructive rather than sceptical
- (of a concept) denoting the presence rather than the absence of some property
- having a value greater than zeroa positive number
- designating, consisting of, or graduated in one or more quantities greater than zeropositive direction
- measured in a direction opposite to that regarded as negative
- having the same magnitude as but opposite sense to an equivalent negative quantity
- (of an electric charge) having an opposite polarity to the charge of an electron and the same polarity as the charge of a proton
- (of a body, system, ion, etc) having a positive electric charge; having a deficiency of electronsa positive ion
- (of a point in an electric circuit) having a higher electric potential than some other point with an assigned zero potential