- possessions, especially movable effects or personal property.
- articles of trade; wares; merchandise: canned goods.
- Informal. what has been promised or is expected: to deliver the goods.
- Informal. items that are authentic rather than imitation; the genuine article: If you want real pearls, we have the goods.
- Informal. evidence of guilt, as stolen articles: to catch someone with the goods.
- cloth or textile material: top-quality linen goods.
- Chiefly British. merchandise sent by land, rather than by water or air.
- the ideal of goodness or morality.
- good things or persons collectively.
OTHER WORDS FOR good
Idioms about good
- certain to repay (money owed) because of integrity, financial stability, etc.
- the equivalent in value of: Two thousand stamps are good for one coffeepot.
- able to survive or continue functioning for (the length of time or the distance indicated): These tires are good for another 10,000 miles.
- valid or in effect for (the length of time indicated): a license good for one year.
- (used as an expression of approval):Good for you!
- to make recompense for; repay.
- to implement an agreement; fulfill.
- to be successful.
- to substantiate; verify.
- to carry out; accomplish; execute: The convicts made good their getaway.
- generally advantageous: That's all to the good, but what do I get out of it?
- richer in profit or gain: When he withdrew from the partnership, he was several thousand dollars to the good.
Origin of good
synonym study for good
usage note for good
The adjective good is standard after linking verbs like taste, smell, look, feel, be, and seem: Everything tastes good. The biscuits smell good. You're looking good today. When used after look or feel, good may refer to spirits as well as health: I'm feeling pretty good this morning, ready to take on the world. Well is both an adjective and an adverb. As an adjective used after look, feel, or other linking verbs, it often refers to good health: You're looking well; we missed you while you were in the hospital. See also bad.
OTHER WORDS FROM goodqua·si-good, adjective
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH goodgood , well (see usage note at the current entry)
Words nearby good
How to use good in a sentence
Years of historical data and analysis helped guide the teams on which keywords were historically the best performing.Case study: Schneider Electric’s digital transformation through centralized search|Evan Kent and Kimberly Dutcher|February 11, 2021|Search Engine Watch
For best results, however, you should achieve 50 conversions over a 30-day period prior to implementing Target ROAS bidding.Smart Bidding: Five ways machine learning improves PPC advertising|Gabrielle Sadeh|February 10, 2021|Search Engine Watch
If you own a small salon in Los Angeles, most people looking for salon services will search for very specific phrases like “salons in Los Angeles” or “best hair stylists in Los Angeles.”A small business’ step-by-step guide to dominating local search in 2021|Joseph Dyson|February 10, 2021|Search Engine Watch
Despite the best efforts of all involved, from players to TV producers, things were off all night.The Pandemic Super Bowl, Naturally, Was Rough To Watch|Sean Gregory|February 8, 2021|Time
Forwards Bile and Wahab were extremely active during Georgetown’s best runs, but foul trouble kept taking both off the floor.Georgetown continues to play well but falls short in the end against Villanova|Kareem Copeland|February 7, 2021|Washington Post
As an example of good science-and-society policymaking, the history of fluoride may be more of a cautionary tale.
The speaker conjures up centuries of collective sagacity, aligning oneself with an eternal, inarguable good.Politicians Only Love Journalists When They're Dead|Luke O’Neil|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
I think everybody would like to be handsome and good at karate.‘Archer’ Creator Adam Reed Spills Season 6 Secrets, From Surreal Plotlines to Life Post-ISIS|Marlow Stern|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Petty, shade, and thirst are my favorite human “virtues” and the trifecta of any good series of “stories.”‘Empire’ Review: Hip-Hop Musical Chairs with an Insane Soap Opera Twist|Judnick Mayard|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Finding a smuggler in Ventimiglia is easier than finding good food.
We resolved to do our best to merit the good opinion which we thus supposed them to entertain of us.
And with some expressions of mutual good-will and interest, master and man separated.The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club, v. 2(of 2)|Charles Dickens
She did not need a great cook-book; She knew how much and what it took To make things good and sweet and light.
The Seven-score and four on the six middle Bells, the treble leading, and the tenor lying behind every change, makes good Musick.Tintinnalogia, or, the Art of Ringing|Richard Duckworth and Fabian Stedman
Those in whom the impulse is strong and dominant are perhaps those who in later years make the good society actors.Children's Ways|James Sully
British Dictionary definitions for good
- morally excellent or admirable; virtuous; righteousa good man
- (as collective noun; preceded by the)the good
- an unbelievable assertion
- a very funny joke
- to recompense or repair damage or injury
- to be successful
- to demonstrate or prove the truth of (a statement or accusation)
- to secure and retain (a position)
- to effect or fulfil (something intended or promised)
- to handle to good effectI never got any good of this machine
- to understand properlyI could never get any good of him
- to receive cooperation from
Derived forms of goodgoodish, adjective
Word Origin for good
Other Idioms and Phrases with good
In addition to the idioms beginning with good
- good and
- good around
- good as, as
- good as done, as
- good as gold, as
- good as one's word, as
- good day
- good deal, a
- good egg, a
- good evening
- good faith
- good for
- good graces
- good grief
- good head on one's shoulders, have a
- good life, the
- good luck
- good many, a
- good mind
- good morning
- good nature
- goodness gracious
- goodness knows
- good night
- good off
- good riddance
- good Samaritan
- good scout
- good sort
- good thing
- good time
- good turn
- good word
- good works
- goody two-shoes
- bad (good) sort
- but good
- do any good
- do good
- do one good
- for good
- for good measure
- get on someone's good side
- get out while the getting is good
- give a good account of oneself
- give as good as one gets
- have a good command of
- have a good mind to
- have a good thing going
- have a good time
- hold good
- ill wind (that blows nobody any good)
- in all good conscience
- in bad (good) faith
- in (good) condition
- in due course (all in good time)
- in good
- in good hands
- in good part
- in good spirits
- in good time
- in good with
- in someone's good graces
- keep (good) time
- make good
- make good time
- make someone look good
- miss is as good as a mile
- never had it so good
- no good
- no news is good news
- not the only fish (other good fish) in the sea
- one good turn deserves another
- on good terms
- on one's best (good) behavior
- put in a good word
- put to good use
- show someone a good time
- show to (good) advantage
- so far so good
- stand in good stead
- take in good part
- throw good money after bad
- to good purpose
- too good to be true
- too much of a good thing
- to the good
- turn to (good account)
- up to no good
- well and good
- what's the good of
- with good grace
- world of good
- your guess is as good as mine
Also see undergoodnessgoods.