- superadded, especially inappropriately, as a sculptural or architectural ornament.
- artificial, counterfeit, or false.
- an imitation or substitute.
- pretense; sham.
- a false hairpiece.
Origin of postiche
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for postiche
We have made a great succs by means of postiche—there is no denying it.Piccadilly
- (of architectural ornament) inappropriately applied; sham
- false or artificial; spurious
- another term for hairpiece (def. 2)
- an imitation, counterfeit, or substitute
- anything that is false; sham or pretence
C19: from French, from Italian apposticcio (n), from Late Latin appositīcius (adj); see apposite