- a shot fired at game merely for food, with little regard to skill or the rules of sport.
- a shot at an animal or person within easy range, as from ambush.
- a casual or aimless shot.
- a random or incidental criticism: to take a potshot at military spending in a speech on taxation.
- to fire or aim potshots: critics potshotting at the administration.
Origin of potshot
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a chance shot taken casually, hastily, or without careful aim
- a shot fired to kill game in disregard of the rules of sport
- a shot fired at quarry within easy range, often from an ambush
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper