- situated before the body axis; pertaining to the radial side of the upper limb and the tibial side of the lower limb.
Origin of preaxial
1870–75; pre- + -axial
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- situated or occurring in front of the axis of the body
- of or relating to the anterior part of a vertebrate limb
- Situated in front of or superior to the median axis of the body or a body part.
- Of or being the portion of a limb bud lying cranial to the axis of the limb.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.