- of, relating to, or used in diagnosis.
- serving to identify or characterize; being a precise indication.
- diagnosis(def 1).
- a symptom or characteristic of value in diagnosis.
- Medicine/Medical. a device or substance used for the analysis or detection of diseases or other medical conditions.
- a message output by a computer diagnosing an error in a computer program, computer system, or component device.
- a program or subroutine that produces such messages.
Origin of diagnostic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- of, relating to, or of value in diagnosis
- med any symptom that provides evidence for making a specific diagnosis
- a diagnosis
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
1620s (adjective and noun), from Greek diagnostikos "able to distinguish," from diagnostos, verbal adjective from diagignoskein (see diagnosis). Related: Diagnostics.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Of, relating to, or used in a diagnosis.
- Serving to identify a particular disease; characteristic.
- diagnostics The art or practice of medical diagnosis.
- A symptom or a distinguishing feature serving as supporting evidence in a diagnosis.
- An instrument or a technique used in medical diagnosis.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.