- the process of determining by examination the nature and circumstances of a diseased condition.
- the decision reached from such an examination. Abbreviation: Dx
- Biology. scientific determination; a description that classifies a group or taxon precisely.
- a determining or analysis of the cause or nature of a problem or situation.
- an answer or solution to a problematic situation.
Origin of diagnosis
Related Words for diagnosisinterpretation, investigation, examination, analysis, conclusion, opinion, summary, pronouncement, scrutiny
Examples from the Web for diagnosis
Contemporary Examples of diagnosis
Diagnosis of CTE is often considered to be specialized and has to occur at a designated institution like Boston University.Will the NCAA Let Ohio State’s Kosta Karageorge Die in Vain?
December 1, 2014
I recall being taught during my medical education that a likely diagnosis was neurofibromatosis type 1.The True Story of ‘The Elephant Man’
November 3, 2014
Accompanying this diagnosis was a description of what her particular death would be like.
A trip to the doctor resulted in a diagnosis of Glioblastoma multiforme, an especially virulent cancer of the brain.
No, now I can safely give myself the diagnosis of SCT, which seems much tidier.Daydreaming Is Not a Disorder
October 4, 2014
Historical Examples of diagnosis
How much better the diagnosis of Madame Dacier, who is quoted by Lessing!The Dramatic Values in Plautus
Wilton Wallace Blancke
He liked to have all the symptoms before he made a diagnosis or ventured an opinion.K
Mary Roberts Rinehart
He seemed always to be making a diagnosis of the souls of men.Roden's Corner
Henry Seton Merriman
Bill grunted his disagreement with the diagnosis, and lapsed into silence.White Fang
In later conversations he told me the diagnosis of the disease had been correct.The Ministry of Intercession
- the identification of diseases by the examination of symptoms and signs and by other investigations
- an opinion or conclusion so reached
- thorough analysis of facts or problems in order to gain understanding and aid future planning
- an opinion or conclusion reached through such analysis
- a detailed description of an organism, esp a plant, for the purpose of classification
Word Origin for diagnosis
- The act or process of identifying or determining the nature and cause of a disease or injury through evaluation of patient history, examination, and review of laboratory data.
- The opinion derived from such an evaluation.
- A brief description of the distinguishing characteristics of an organism, as for taxonomic classification.
- The identification by a medical provider of a condition, disease, or injury made by evaluating the symptoms and signs presented by a patient.