- to determine the identity of (a disease, illness, etc.) by a medical examination: The doctor diagnosed the illness as influenza.
- to ascertain the cause or nature of (a disorder, malfunction, problem, etc.) from the symptoms: The mechanic diagnosed the trouble that caused the engine knock.
- to classify or determine on the basis of scientific examination.
- to make a diagnosis.
Origin of diagnose
Related Words for diagnosepinpoint, recognize, pronounce, investigate, determine, analyze, distinguish, place, spot, interpret, determinate, diagnosticate
Examples from the Web for diagnose
Contemporary Examples of diagnose
Levin can at least diagnose the problem and recognize that this leads to an evacuation of traditional politics.Relax—Both Parties Are Going Extinct
November 4, 2014
When Smith was asked how he could diagnose Obama, he admitted he is not a psychologist and was just speculating.Republican Thinks Obama’s Mental Illness Caused Border Crisis
July 11, 2014
Students study the hands to diagnose medical conditions, with the aid of technology of course.Art Goes High-Tech at These Four Innovative Exhibits
May 29, 2014
I felt relieved for the character, and slightly abashed for rushing to diagnose her with a mental illness.Diagnosing Jane, Louis C.K.’s Troubled Daughter on ‘Louie’ Who Can’t Separate Dreams From Reality
May 15, 2014
With The Talk, if you could diagnose the show, what would you say is working best, and what do you think needs work?Sharon Osbourne Sounds Off on Anthony Weiner, Justin Bieber, and More
July 29, 2013
Historical Examples of diagnose
I will also diagnose your case, and advise you free of charge.The Mayflower, January, 1905
"I can diagnose the case more bluntly if you wish," he retorted.Howards End
E. M. Forster
It may be difficult to diagnose exactly the mental symptoms.Psychotherapy
“Macgilpin, just diagnose this case for me,” cried the doctor to his assistant.Crown and Anchor
John Conroy Hutcheson
I tried to diagnose her symptoms, but they were too complicated and contradictory.The Seven Secrets
William Le Queux
- to determine or distinguish by diagnosis
- (tr) to examine (a person or thing), as for a disease
1861, back-formation from diagnosis. Related: Diagnosed; diagnosing.
- To distinguish or identify a disease by diagnosis.
- To identify a person as having a particular disease or condition by diagnosis.