- of or relating to the tongue or some tonguelike part.
- pertaining to languages.
- Phonetics. articulated with the aid of the tongue, especially the tip of the tongue, as d, n, s, or r.
- Phonetics. a lingual sound.
Origin of lingual
- anatomy of or relating to the tongue or a part or structure resembling a tongue
- rareof or relating to language or languages
- (in combination)polylingual
- articulated with the tongue
- a lingual consonant, such as Scots (r)
1640s, from Medieval Latin lingualis "of the tongue," from Latin lingua "tongue," also "speech, language," from Old Latin dingua, from PIE *dnghu- "tongue" (cf. Old English tunge, Gothic tuggo "tongue;" see tongue). Altered in Latin probably in part by association with lingere "to lick."
- Of or relating to the tongue or any tonguelike part; glossal.
- Next to or toward the tongue.