- to set beforehand.
- to set (an electric or electronic appliance) to become activated at a designated time: We preset the coffeemaker to go on at 6 a.m.
- to adjust (a connector, switch, or the like) so that when activated it will perform a designated function: The tuning buttons on the radio are preset to my favorite FM stations.
- a knob or button that activates a preset appliance: Just push the preset and coffee will be ready when you get up.
- a similar device on a radio that can be activated to tune in a preselected station.
Origin of preset
Examples from the Web for preset
Contemporary Examples of preset
To easily switch between sounds, the organ is outfitted with dozens of preset buttons like the kind found in old radios.How to Save Silent Movies: Inside New Jersey’s Cinema Paradiso
October 2, 2014
Historical Examples of preset
His eye swept his panel, to see if anything had been preset.Next Door, Next World
Robert Donald Locke
I preset two forward radiators for forty kilometers at low condensation, with a three kilometer radius at surface.Indirection
Everett B. Cole
Were an apology necessary for the preset work, such statements as these would be amply sufficient.The History of Prostitution
William W. Sanger
The gyros on each projectile had been preset for a circular flight of fifteen minutes' duration.Sabotage in Space
- to set (a timing device) so that something begins to operate at the time specified
- electronics a control, such as a variable resistor, that is not as accessible as the main controls and is used to set initial conditions