- the instituting or carrying on of an action at law.
- a legal step or measure: to institute proceedings against a person.
Words nearby proceeding
Definition for proceeding (2 of 2)
verb (used without object)
- to begin and carry on a legal action.
- to take legal action (usually followed by against).
- something that results or accrues.
- the total amount derived from a sale or other transaction: The proceeds from the deal were divided equally among us.
- the profits or returns from a sale, investment, etc.
SYNONYMS FOR proceed
OTHER WORDS FROM proceedpro·ceed·er, nounre·pro·ceed, verb (used without object)
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH proceedprecede proceed
synonym study for proceed
Example sentences from the Web for proceeding
Either way, the Navy is proceeding full steam ahead in preparing the DDG-1000 for sea.Can the Navy's $12 Billion Stealth Destroyer Stay Afloat?|Dave Majumdar|October 22, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The judge tells him to sit tight and wait for his case to be individually handled at the end of the proceeding.Private Prisons Rule With Little Oversight on America’s Border|Caitlin Dickson|June 20, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The efforts are proceeding slowly and tentatively because the price differential of the fuel is only one factor to consider.
His hands were cuffed together as he rose to return to the cells at the end of the proceeding.Ex-Cop’s Shooting of Texting Moviegoer Ends in Tragedy|Michael Daly|January 15, 2014|DAILY BEAST
People are just proceeding with their lives which at this time of the year include many long-planned social/cultural activities.
Appearances rather favouring the latter opinion, we determined on proceeding through it to the southward.
"That's what I call a rare turn-out," said Baby, who enjoyed the proceeding amazingly.Charles O'Malley, The Irish Dragoon, Volume 2 (of 2)|Charles Lever
Proceeding cautiously, Grace reached the stream, and followed it until she found where the kidnappers of Hippy had left it.Grace Harlowe's Overland Riders Among the Kentucky Mountaineers|Jessie Graham Flower
After proceeding a considerable distance along which, they discovered a good harbour.The Coxswain's Bride|R.M. Ballantyne
Again peals forth that awful, blood-curdling scream, proceeding right from among those primitive dwellings.Haviland's Chum|Bertram Mitford
British Dictionary definitions for proceeding (1 of 2)
- the institution of a legal action
- any step taken in a legal action