- Canaan, the land promised by God to Abraham and his descendants. Gen. 12:7.
- (often lowercase) a place or situation believed to hold ultimate happiness.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- Old Testament the land of Canaan, promised by God to Abraham and his descendants as their heritage (Genesis 12:7)
- heaven, esp when considered as the goal towards which Christians journey in their earthly lives
- any longed-for place where one expects to find greater happiness or fulfilment
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
By extension, an idyllic place or state of being that a person hopes to reach, especially one that cannot be reached except by patience and determination, is called a “Promised Land.”
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.