- the act of provoking.
- something that incites, instigates, angers, or irritates.
- Criminal Law. words or conduct leading to killing in hot passion and without deliberation.
Origin of provocation
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the act of provoking or inciting
- something that causes indignation, anger, etc
- English criminal law words or conduct that incite a person to attack another
Word Origin and History for provocational
c.1400, from Old French provocacion (12c.) and directly from Latin provocationem (nominative provocatio) "a calling forth, a summoning, a challenge," noun of action from past participle stem of provocare "to call out" (see provoke).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper