- a mental disorder characterized by symptoms, such as delusions or hallucinations, that indicate impaired contact with reality.
- any severe form of mental disorder, as schizophrenia or paranoia.
Origin of psychosis
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for psychoses
And with RT, these losers have a global platform through which they can inflict their psychoses on the rest of us.Watch RT, Putin's TV Network, Call the Cops on Me
March 7, 2014
We all have tendencies toward one or more types of psychoses.The Hills of Home
Neuroses and psychoses are peculiarly frequent in childhood and youth.Degeneracy
Eugene S. Talbot
These other moods, although less frequent, are just as characteristic of the psychoses in this group.
The histories of the two psychoses differentiate the two reactions which may be indistinguishable at one interview.
Other psychoses superficially resembling stupor are the perplexity and absorbed manic (manic stupor) states.
- any form of severe mental disorder in which the individual's contact with reality becomes highly distortedCompare neurosis
C19: New Latin, from psycho- + -osis
Word Origin and History for psychoses
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- A severe mental disorder, with or without organic damage, characterized by derangement of personality and loss of contact with reality and causing deterioration of normal social functioning.
- A mental state caused by psychiatric or organic illness, characterized by a loss of contact with reality and an inability to think rationally. A psychotic person often behaves inappropriately and is incapable of normal social functioning.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.