- Psychiatry. characterized by or afflicted with psychosis.
- Psychiatry. of or relating to psychosis: psychotic symptoms; psychotic delusion.
- (loosely) mentally unstable: The man who threw a stone through the convenience store window must be psychotic.
- intensely upset, anxious, or angry; crazy: My dad gets so psychotic when I come home even a little bit late.
- Psychiatry. a person afflicted with psychosis.
- (loosely) someone who is mentally unstable: I always cross the street when I have to go past that homeless shelter; it's full of psychotics.
- someone who exhibits extreme emotion or behavior: My brother turns into a complete psychotic whenever his team loses.
Origin of psychotic
Related Words for psychoticinsane, unhinged, mental, demented, mad, schizophrenic, crazy, lunatic, nuts, sick, psycho, manic-depressive, distracted, psychopathic, unbalanced, certifiable
Examples from the Web for psychotic
Contemporary Examples of psychotic
Monis seems to have been both and dedicated to his psychotic beliefs.The Sydney Astrologer Turned Islamic Radical
December 16, 2014
How can we taxonomize their experience, and differentiate it from hallucination, or psychotic break?Eben Alexander Has a GPS for Heaven
October 8, 2014
I had a friend sending me weird emails about conspiracies he saw all around him, but he too had stayed shy of a psychotic break.The Author Of The Summer's Hit Paranoid Fantasy Opens Up
August 15, 2014
On the other hand, the number of accounts from reputable people who are clearly not psychotic adds up.Is Hell Real?
February 8, 2013
Would someone with a psychotic disorder be able to be in the CIA and hide it?‘Homeland’: Showtime’s Thriller Gets Fact Checked by an Intelligence Expert
October 29, 2012
Historical Examples of psychotic
He merely mentioned that Andray Dunnan was psychotic and let it go at that.Space Viking
Henry Beam Piper
Yet they were not psychotic and hardly more than mildly neurotic.Disturbing Sun
Robert Shirley Richardson
And then again, a psychotic or a professional gunsel may not register at all.The Circuit Riders
R. C. FitzPatrick
If you are psychotic, your behavior may hurt others or yourself.When You Don't Know Where to Turn
Steven J. Bartlett
The eyes opened as a hand shook the psychotic Mersey by the shoulder.The Inhabited
- of, relating to, or characterized by psychosis
- a person experiencing psychosis
"a psychotic person," 1901, from psychotic (adj.).
- Of, relating to, or affected by psychosis.
- A person affected by psychosis.
- A mental state caused by psychiatric or organic illness, characterized by a loss of contact with reality and an inability to think rationally. A psychotic person often behaves inappropriately and is incapable of normal social functioning.