- arriving or arrived at puberty.
- Botany, Zoology. covered with down or fine short hair.
Origin of pubescent
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for pubescent
- arriving or having arrived at puberty
- (of certain plants and animals or their parts) covered with a layer of fine short hairs or down
C17: from Latin pūbēscere to reach manhood, from pūber adult
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for pubescent
1610s, a back-formation from pubescence, or else from French pubescent (early 16c.) or directly from Latin pubescentem (nominative pubescens), present participle of pubescere "to reach puberty" (see pubescence).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Reaching or having reached puberty.
- Covered with fine short hairs.