- arriving or arrived at puberty.
- Botany, Zoology. covered with down or fine short hair.
Origin of pubescent
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for pubescentyouthful, new, budding, inexperienced, adolescent, enthusiastic, underage, young, girlish, boyish, childlike, childish, incipient, promising, growing, fledgling, burgeoning, nascent, teen, productive
Examples from the Web for pubescent
Historical Examples of pubescent
- arriving or having arrived at puberty
- (of certain plants and animals or their parts) covered with a layer of fine short hairs or down
Word Origin for pubescent
C17: from Latin pūbēscere to reach manhood, from pūber adult
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for pubescent
1610s, a back-formation from pubescence, or else from French pubescent (early 16c.) or directly from Latin pubescentem (nominative pubescens), present participle of pubescere "to reach puberty" (see pubescence).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Reaching or having reached puberty.
- Covered with fine short hairs.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.