- arriving or arrived at puberty.
- Botany, Zoology. covered with down or fine short hair.
Origin of pubescent
Related Words for pubescenceadolescence, youth, boyhood, teens, pregnancy, virility, potency, productivity, greenness, juvenility, daybreak, puberty, opening, aurora, morning, start, sunup, vitality, morn, dawn
- arriving or having arrived at puberty
- (of certain plants and animals or their parts) covered with a layer of fine short hairs or down
Word Origin for pubescent
Word Origin and History for pubescence
early 15c., Middle French pubescence, from Medieval Latin pubescentia, noun of state from Latin pubescentem (nominative pubescens), present participle of pubescere "grow up; ripen, come to maturity; reach the age of puberty, arrive at puberty," from pubes "adult, full-grown" (see puberty).
1610s, a back-formation from pubescence, or else from French pubescent (early 16c.) or directly from Latin pubescentem (nominative pubescens), present participle of pubescere "to reach puberty" (see pubescence).
- The state of being pubescent.
- The attainment or onset of puberty.
- The presence of downy or fine short hair.
- Reaching or having reached puberty.
- Covered with fine short hairs.