- the subjection of organic compounds to very high temperatures.
- the resulting decomposition.
Origin of pyrolysis
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the application of heat to chemical compounds in order to cause decomposition
- chemical decomposition of compounds caused by high temperatures
Word Origin and History for pyrolysis
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Decomposition or transformation of a chemical compound caused by heat.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.